Come and discover a natural paradise in the Bierzo region.
In this street we can appreciate well-preserved popular elements such as corridors, chestnut wood overhanging galleries, exterior stairs to access the houses, slate roofs, along with some ancestral homes with ashlar facades and noble coats of arms.
The Casona de Don Pelegrín or Palacio de los Balboa – located at the beginning of the road, next to the Roman bridge – and the Palacio de Cangas de Pambley – distinguished by its beautiful facade framed between two towers – stand out.
The Camino de Santiago is one of the routes traveled by pilgrims who go to prostrate themselves before the apostle in Santiago de Compostela.
This Jacobean pilgrimage route was established in the Middle Ages, and meant an acceleration in economic and urban growth that lasted until the sixteenth century, when there was a stagnation that lasted until the nineteenth century.
Splendid sample of religious art. It rises on a hill dominating the town majestically and stately.
We find the temple of San Nicolás de Bari after crossing the Roman bridge, enter the Calle Real and immediately turn left onto Calle Rañadero.
The present temple and parish church of San Nicolás de Bari, began to be built in the second half of the 17th century. The temple is accessed through a main entrance with a baroque theatrical staircase closed with a gate.
The Roman Bridge or Puente de los Peregrinos (Pilgrims’ Bridge) is located to the east of the town, through which thousands of pilgrims arrive at Calle Real and Molinaseca on their way to Santiago de Compostela.
It is an ashlar bridge with seven vaults, of which the first three, with semicircular arches, belong to an older bridge and are half-buried.
The other four arches have half-barrel vaults and peralted vaults -today modified-. The parapets are made of mortar and the pavement of pebbles. Its origin is attributed to the Roman period, as part of the road that followed from Ponferrada to Foncebadón, testimony of which would be the three oldest vaults.
Some authors mention the existence in the 11th century of a chapel in this same location, a place of devotion and deep tradition in the Camino.
That there was already great devotion to the Virgin, before the present Sanctuary, is proved by the foundation of the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Sorrows, founded in 1561 and disappeared in the twentieth century, to which devotees from different parts of the Diocese belonged.
The present sanctuary is the result of the interior and exterior reconstruction carried out at the end of the XVII century and beginning of the XVIII century by devotion of Don Antonio de Castro y Yebra, priest of this Villa, and of his nephew and successor D. Juan Antonio de la Vega y Castro, whose burials of the years 1598 and 1727 are in the temple. With them also coincided the construction of the parish church of San Nicolás.
They are located to the southwest of Molinaseca, on the route that joins this locality with Riego de Ambrós.
They were built in Roman times to save the Pequeño and Grande streams, both tributaries of the Meruelo river and take their name from the same streams.
The Small Bridge is located about 2,300 m from Molinaseca, it has a pointed arch and a span of 8.60 m. The Big Bridge is located about 2,700 m from Molinaseca, it has a semicircular arch with a span of 9.85 m. Both are built on rock, with barrel vaults of masonry grouted with mortar.
The complex consists of a noble house joined to another smaller one by means of an elevated passageway.
The main building is built in exposed slate masonry, with the corners framed in stone, both on the ground floor and on the exterior facades.
Singularities: On the facade facing Calle Real, the main building has several coats of arms declared BIC (Bien de Interés Cultural) with the arms of the Cangas-Pambley family. Crowned by a helmet, the edges have different motifs, highlighting in one of them a human face under the helmet.
The Crucero del Santo Cristo is a beautiful Jacobean motif at the end of Calle Real. It stands on a square pedestal with four granite steps.
The column of the transept is octagonal and a glass niche has been added with a small crucifix that is always adorned with a bouquet of flowers.
It is already mentioned in a donation made by Doña Igobor to the Sobrado Monastery in 1220. For her it grants to the monks numerous properties in Molinaseca.
The transept is built on a square base or plinth with four steps, made of coarse granite.
This monolith commemorates the twinning between the Jacobean Route and the Japanese path of the Shikoku Henro.
Made of granite, it is approximately 1.20 m. high and was a gift from the Japanese delegation of the Shikoku island region to Molinaseca.
The monument to the pilgrim reflects the important link that the town of Molinaseca maintains with the pilgrimage route.
Made of granite, it was placed in its enclave in 1995 and is framed in a small garden area with a triangular fountain.
Paved and cobbled square surrounded by typical traditional houses, where the old audience was located.
There are two beautiful wrought iron benches, one at the beginning of the square and the other in front of it, at the end of it.
It takes its name from the Infantry Commander and professor at the Toledo Academy, García Rey.
Formerly there were two communal ovens in this square and nowadays the current one is located.
City Hall. The floor of the same one is of cobblestones. There is a small new fountain and two stories high.
Paved and asphalted square where the Crucero del Santo Cristo is located, which gives its name to the square.
If we take as reference the Jacobean transit, it is located at the exit of the village, at the end of Real Street.
The Meruelo Valley is the natural entrance to the Camino de Santiago in El Bierzo.
It has a marked “V” shape, especially deep between the towns of Riego de Ambrós and Molinaseca, which opens when entering Molinaseca, running under the medieval bridge with seven arches.
It spans from the headwaters of the river (confluence of the Compludo river with the Carracedo and Prada streams) to its mouth in the Boeza river, 14 km further on (at the Montearenas reservoir). This bridge also marks the beginning of the busy fluvial swimming pool that can be enjoyed during the summer in this section of the river.
In Molinaseca we can find several fountains: In the photo Fuente del Sapo.
The first one, a public fountain located, at the end of Las Estapias Street -once passed the ascent-, next to a wall belonging to a group of single-family houses.
It constitutes, in its middle course, the hydrological axis of the municipality.
This river collects the waters of streams and brooks such as Valdecarrizo, La Viñuela or Santa Clara and until it flows into the river Boeza, it runs through a narrow valley, whose depth is more marked between the towns of Molinaseca and Riego de Ambrós.
It is nourished by alluvial forests of alder and ash trees and it is worth mentioning the importance of the coverage that the riverbank reaches on the outskirts of the town of Molinaseca.
The origin of its name could be the diminutive of the Latin adjective merus which means pure and clean.